12.2.08

11 DEGREES!

I had a very eventful day yesterday... When I went to get in my car to drive to work I couldn't get into the driver's side of the car. The door just wouldn’t open so I had to climb in through the passenger side door. I thought that I should take it as a sign and not go to work (also, it was 11 degrees outside), however I thought that I was being dumb and finding an excuse to take a day off. Little did I know what was store for me. I got to my car last night at the train station I drive to in the morning to commute in to the city, unlock the driver's side door (it worked!), climbed in, put the key in the ignition and turned it. Nothing happened. I took the key out, put it back in and turned it, still nothing. The lights weren't turning on, nothing was happening. Great, dead battery. So I called my Mother-in-Law, and after attempting to use my husband’s AAA number (I am not a member, apparently) and exclaiming a variety of obscenities to my steering wheel. When that didn't help the battery not to not be dead I called my boss, who lives just north of me. She was still at work and had jumper cables in her car. (I thought that the problem may have been the starter as well because it was making an unnerving ticking sound so I was a little worried we would be there for a while...) We connected red to positive and black to negative and the lights turned on in my car! YAY! (Did I mention that it was 11 degrees outside, which means it was also 11 degrees inside my car?) I started my car and Marie followed me back to Wilmington. The car started fine this morning and I drove to the train station no problem. We'll see what happens tonight I suppose. On top of all this, we are due for a storm tomorrow morning going into the day. I don't tend to pay attention to the weather, but when I turned on the TV this morning to see what the temperature in Boston was (still 11 degrees) they were talking about the big, bad, and equally ugly winter storm warning for Boston tomorrow! Also, my big bad immune system which has been working so hard to keep my white blood cells doing their good little jobs has officially plummeted into no-man's land where it is currently weeping in a heap of not-so-usefulness wondering where it went wrong in life. Thus, I am coming down with an equally big, bad, and definitely ugly cold. Needless to say I went home, made some soup and tea and took a bubble bath for about an hour last night. (Also, I remember cranking the heat up to about 75 degrees in the apartment because it was 11 degrees outside... I wasn't sure if I had mentioned that...)

Despite all this, I must say that my day yesterday is absolutely nothing compared to someone battling breast cancer. Taking on something like this, something that is bigger than I am, certainly puts things into perspective. I think that everyone really wants to be part of something bigger than themselves and it is honestly bringing me an incredible amount of joy. Working toward a specific goal and doing it with people I care about is going to make this a terribly fun few months!

Stan says my steps yesterday totaled 5,024. My total today (up until right now, at 1:00 in the afternoon) are 5,197. I’m pretty sure today is shaping up to be a good day for Stan! :-)

No comments:

 
Template design by Sharnee