8.2.08

Feeling the Burn

I have noticed that the male supporters of my walking team (^^Twin Peaks^^) have a somewhat interesting mindset about the walk. The women in my group (Me, Amanda, Nicole) are already working diligently at getting fit and ready at the gym to attempt to walk nearly 40 MILES without ending up half-way through the walk laying in the fetal position on the ground while other walkers look at us like we are crazy (which, granted, we probably are anyway, but that's beside the point.) Our male supports however are under the impression that the fundraising is the "hard part." I agree that the fundraising is difficult, but it is certainly not impossible. When considering joining our team the men (I don't want to name any names here, *cough* Jason and Dan *cough*) say that they are "not worried" about the walking. HELLO BOYS! 40 MILES! Let's evaluate just how far 40 miles really is, shall we? 40 miles is roughly equivalent to 80,000 steps; it is exactly equivalent to 70,400 yards; 211,200 feet; 2,534,400 inches; 633,600 hands; 12,800 rods; 3,200 chains; I think you get the point. It is like walking the entire length of a football field 587 times, in TWO DAYS! 40 miles is a LONG way! Just yesterday I walked nearly 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym (roughly 3.3mph) and today I am in a significant amount of pain. I am determined however, to work very hard for the next 98 days so that I don't end up in the fetal position on the ground shaking and crying like a lunatic.

Every day I will update my training progress with all of you. I recently bought a pedometer to monitor my steps and the miles I walk every day. Everyday I have a personal goal to walk at least 10,000 steps. Yesterday I walked 10,736 steps! (roughly 3.5 miles, according to my pedometer!) I have named my pedometer Stan (Steps Taken up to About Now) so stay tuned for more updates from him!

No comments:

 
Template design by Sharnee